The Dallas Freitas Memorial Scholarship
Currently Enrolled at MDCHS
One-year participation in Track and Field at MDCHS
Minimum GPA 3.0
Awarded annually to a student who exemplifies camaraderie and friendship in the classroom, on the track and in the community.
Dallas Freitas, Class of 2015, was a Merit scholarship recipient at MDCHS, who also excelled in athletics, especially track, cross country, and pole vaulting. Dallas held the 200m record at MDCHS from 2015 to 2019. He is currently second overall. In 2015, Dallas was the Mesa League Runner-Up in the 200m and finished fifth at CIF Finals. He is also 8th overall in the 100m record. He was a four-year varsity track runner at Mater Dei. Dallas was on the 4×100 relay all four years and participated in the 100m and 200m sprints. Dallas’ personal records include running a 11.33 in the 100m, 22.41 in the 200m and jumping 9’0 in the pole vault event.
Dallas was also very involved in various aspects of student life, such as Ambassador for Christ, Yearbook editor, Band (steel and regular drums) and the Drama Club. Among his many accolades, he was a gifted artist, talented cook, classical pianist, and a Rubik’s Cube Society enthusiast who was able to solve any cube presented to him. One of his endearing and witty interactions with his close friends was the “Cooking with Dallas” show. He was deeply introspective and naturally philosophical, with the ability to discuss any topic in a comprehensive way. Dallas had a love for travel, with Spain and Morocco being the most culturally diverse and exciting destinations he visited. Having a genuine care for humanity that was evident with his EMT state certification, proficiency in Braille and St. Vincent de Paul volunteering, Dallas offered sincere efforts to help those in need. His continuous encouragement helped many to believe in themselves and to manifest their dreams. He exemplified the Crusader spirit on and off the Mater Dei campus with his camaraderie, authenticity, grace, and approachability. Dallas was a great friend in every sense; and was loved and admired by all who knew him.
- Applications will be reviewed by members of The Dallas Freitas Scholarship Trust and recipient(s) selected by MDCHS Administration.
- Priority based on financial need
- Application submission opens: June 1, 2021
- Application submission deadline: June 30, 2021
- Award will be applied for the 2021-22 school year
- A letter of recommendation from a mentor (teacher, coach, or friend) is strongly suggested. The person writing the letter of recommendation must send it directly to Ms. Alejandra Saavedra firstname.lastname@example.org
- Projected award for the 2021-22 school year $1500.